News and Notes for APA District Branches/State Associations
This monthly newsletter is prepared by the APA’s Communications Team as a benefit for our District Branches and State Associations. Feel free to share the articles below in your own newsletter. If you have any questions, please contact James Carty at email@example.com or 202.609.7077.
- APA has completed its move into Washington, D.C.! The new address and telephone number are:
800 Maine Avenue, S.W., Suite 900
- After Congress passed a temporary extension of the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), APA urged lawmakers in Congress to reauthorize funding for an additional five years. Nearly nine million children receive health insurance through CHIP. You can read APA’s statement about the temporary extension of CHIP here.
- APA applauded the first-ever report from the Interdepartmental Serious Mental Illness Coordinating Committee (ISMICC), led by Assistant Secretary for Mental Health and Substance Use Elinore McCance-Katz, M.D, Ph.D. The committee was created as part of the 21st Century Cures Act, and is charged with enhancing coordination across federal agencies that impact the care of those with serious mental illness. You can read more about the ISMICC here.
- APA members and staff raised more than $30,000 for disaster relief efforts in the wake of hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria, and wildfires in California. The APA Foundation will also donate $3000 to CrearConSalud, a nonprofit providing mental health services in Puerto Rico. You can read more about the APA Foundation’s charitable giving here.
- National Winter Sports TBI Awareness Month (January)
- National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week (last week of January)
- Last day to vote in the 2018 APA Election (Jan. 31)
Briefs For Your Newsletter
Cast Your Vote in the 2018 APA Election!
Use your member login to cast your vote online in the 2018 APA Election. The full slate of candidates is available online and includes candidate websites and videos. Voting ends on January 31, 2018.
Renew your Commitment to APA for 2018 – Today!
Your commitment to your psychiatric community ensures that we can support each other and navigate through everyday challenges united. We appreciate all you do throughout the year! As we enter 2018, we ask that you to renew your commitment to your professional home for psychiatry – at the national level with APA and through your local District Branch.
You may renew online or by calling 888-357-7924to pay by phone or to schedule an installment payment plan. If you would prefer to receive a direct payment link (no login required) via email, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, if you haven’t already renewed, your membership term ended on Dec. 31.
January Course of the Month - Ketamine for Treatment-Resistant Depression
The therapeutic potential of ketamine has stimulated considerable excitement and has led to the increasing use of ketamine as an off-label substitute for ECT and other anti-depressive treatments. This course reviews the results of randomized trials of intravenous or intranasal ketamine for treatment-resistant unipolar and bipolar major depression. Presented by Kathryn M. Schak, M.D., of the Mayo Clinic. Click here to access the Course of the Month and sign up for updates about this free member benefit.
Early Bird Registration Open for 2018 APA Annual Meeting
Registration for the APA 2018 Annual Meeting
is open. Members get priority registration access plus discounted fees. You won’t want to miss us in New York City, May 5-9. The deadline for early bird registration is Tuesday, February 6, 2018.